Deputy Grand Knight
- Assists the grand knight with operation of the council
- Presides at council meetings in the absence of the grand knight
- Is recommended to serve on the council’s retention committee
- Has a working knowledge of the Knights of Columbus website, Officers Online and Member Management
- Performs other such duties as the grand knight may direct
The deputy grand knight should be familiar with the Method of Conducting Council Meetings (#10318). The deputy grand knight’s medal of office is a compass suspended from a ribbon of purple. A compass is the constant guide and companion to the mariner, and was an invaluable tool used by Columbus to guide him to the shores of the New World. The Knights of Columbus “compass of virtue” has 32 flame-like rays; each ray represents a virtue that people can aspire to emulate in their daily lives. The ribbon of purple signifies authority and justice.